Founded as the West St. Charles Rotary Club, the Rotary Club of St. Charles Parish has served its members and the community since 1978. The club is a part of Rotary International, which was born in Chicago in 1905 as the first service-oriented professional club in the world. The organization rapidly expanded both geographically and ideologically. As it did, it accepted as its mission not only service to its members but also to the world at large.
The organization now follows the motto, Service Above Self, and has become known for its widely adopted Four-Way Test. Developed by Rotarian Herbert J. Taylor in 1932, the test requires that before acting, a person ask if his or her actions are truthful, fair to all concerned parties, beneficial to these parties, and targeted at building goodwill and friendship. This four-part code, recited at Rotary club meetings, has since been translated into over 100 different languages.